DO is the final phase of the Five Phases of Mastering Workflow.
Now that you’ve COLLECTed and PROCESSed everything that has your attention, ORGANISEd all the open loops to make sure that OUTCOMEs and NEXT ACTIONs have been decided on and REVIEWed everything to ensure that it’s current, you now have to decide what to DO.
To make the right choices, you need to think about where you are (CONTEXT), how much time you have (CALENDAR), how much energy you have, and what your priorities are.
If you’ve listed your NEXT ACTIONs according to CONTEXT as we discussed in ORGANISE, it should be easy to identify what actions you could accomplish by looking at the appropriate list. Pick something off the appropriate list that you have the time and energy to DO.
We will return to priority at some future date when we look at the HORIZONS OF FOCUS but for now we’ll just identify what these horizons are:-
- RUNWAY – Your current NEXT ACTIONs (look at these daily)
- Level 1 – Your PROJECTS (look at these weekly)
- Level 2 – Your responsibilities (look at these monthly)
- Level 3 – one to two-year goals (look at these quarterly)
- Level 4 – three to five-year goals (look at these annually)
- Level 5 – career, purpose, lifestyle (look at these annually)
This has been a very quick run through the Five Phases, so feel free to post any questions as comments. In the meantime take a look at the Five Phases of Mastering Workflow from David Allen’s site for free and don’t forget the basic manual on how GTD works in David Allen’s Getting Things Done.